David Wallace Tourison, of Sheridan Wyoming - many thanks
|The following is a retype from EARLY FRIENDS FAMILIES OF UPPER BUCKS, with Some
Accounts of Their Descendants, by Clarence V(Vernon) Roberts, assisted by
Warren S. Ely, Originally published Philadelphia, 1925, Reprinted Genealogical
Publishing Company, Inc., Baltimore MD 1975. Comments in ( ) are note
inclusions from the publisher/writer; Comments in [ ] are from me personally:
Beginning on Page 370
1. ROBERT MILLER, who settled in Richland Township about 1760,
according to the family tradition, was born in the north of Ireland about 1736,
and came to Pennsylvania at an early age accompanied by a sister Sarah Miller.
They were redemptioners and served a short time, presumably in Bucks County, to
pay for their passage. Sarah married later but to whom and at what time is
Robert Miller purchased, by deed dated 5 mo. 28, 1761, a farm of 88
acres in Richland on which he resided until 4 mo. 26. 1783, when, his wife
having died, he sold his farm and went to Virginia, with the intention of
settling there, but died before entirely closing out his affairs in Bucks
County. Letters of administration were granted on his estate in Bucks County 5
mo. 8, 1787, as Robert Miller late of the state of Virginia, deceased to his
eldest son James Miller of Chester County, Pa., who produced to the Register of
Wills a certificate signed by his maternal grandmother Mary Shaw setting forth
that he was the eldest son of the decedent. The inventory of his estate shows
that the estate consisted chiefly of the bonds of Adam Scheetz, to whom he had
sold his farm, sixty-eight pounds cash remaining in the hands of his son Samuel
Miller and some small accounts against Joseph Burr, Edward Thomas, Abraham
Ball, Samuel Shaw, Jr., and other residents of Richland and Milford Township.
The account of the administration showed a net balance of two hundred and
thirty-nine pounds. He as a member of the Associated Company of Richland
Township in 1775 and probably saw active service in the field during the
Revolutionary War. He married prior to 1760 Mary Shaw, daughter of Samuel and
Mary (Nixon) Shaw, of Richland. She was born 5 mo 30, 1740, and died 11 mo.
14, 1779. (See No. 3, Chapter XLIII). Robert Miller was not a member of the
Society of Friends and his wife was disowned by Richland Monthly Meeting for
marriage to one not a member. Several of the family later united with the
Tradition in the family relates that there was, in addition to children
listed, a son, Robert Miller, Jr., but he is not mentioned in the distribution
of the legacies bequeathed to the children of Robert and Mary (Shaw) Miller by
the will of their grandfather, Samuel Shaw.
Children of Robert and Mary (Shaw) Miller:
- James, b. about 1760; m. Mary Phillips
- Mary, m. Nathan Walton (See No. 26, Chapter XLVII)
- Samuel, b. 1763; d. 12-291839; m. Jane Jamison
- Abigail, rem. to Va.; m. there, ---- Joal; later rem. to Ky.
- Ann, rem. with her sister to Va., and is said to have been m. but to
whom is unknown
- Jane, b. about 1772; m. Jacob Hormell
- Levi, b. 6-201774; d. 8 1838; m. first, Deborah Morris; second, Anna
- Hannah, d. 1821; m. Thomas Ball (See No. 24, Chapter VIII)
2. JAMES MILLER2 (Robert1), son of Robert and Mary (Shaw) Miller,
was born in Richland Township at least as early as 1760, and possibly two years
earlier. He was a member of the Associated Company of Richland Township,
enrolled in October, 1775, and could hardly have been less than seventeen years
of age at that date. He removed at an early age to Chester County, Pa., and
married there Mary Phillips, daughter of Joseph and Mercy Phillips. (See No.
35a, Chapter XXXVIII). They removed about 1790 to Washington County, Pa., and
later to Columbiana County, Ohio. He was administrator of his fathers estate
Children of James and Mary (Phillips) Miller:
David, m. Sarah Morris
- John, rem. to Columbiana Co., O., and later to Highland Co., O.; m. but
name of wife and children unknown
- Tacy, m. ----------- Newman in Washington Co., Pa.; rem. to Columbiana
Co., O., later to Jefferson Co., O.; one son, Washington
- Eli, rem. to Columbiana Co., O.; m. there and rem. to Highland Co., O.
No further record
- Robert, m. Nancy Shaw
- William, rem. with parents to Columbiana Co., O.; m. and left
descendants. No further record
- Ephraim, rem. to Va.; m. there and rem. to Highland Co., O.
- Joel, rem. with parents to O., and later enlisted in a military
expedition down the Mississippi River, and was never heard of after.
4. SAMUEL MILLER2 (Robert1), son of Robert and Mary (Shaw) Miller,
born in Richland Township, Bucks County, Pa., about 1763, died in Milford
Township 12 mo. 39, 1839. He is buried in the Burial Ground of Richland
Monthly Meeting of Friends at Quakertown. He married Jane Jamison, daughter of
Joseph and Mary (Bean) Jamison of Richland, Bucks County, Pa., granddaughter of
John and Alice (Edwards) [page 372] Jamison of Milford Township, Bucks
County, Pa. (See No. 11, Chapter XXIII).
Children of Samuel and Jane (Jamison) Miller
- William, b. 8-251791; d. 2-1--1856; m. Margaret Wilson
- Mary, b. 4-9--1794; d. 10-231836; m. Jonathan Shaw (See No. 25,
- Sarah, unm.
7. JANE MILLER2 (Robert1), daughter of Robert and Mary (Shaw)
Miller, was born in Richland Township, Bucks County, about 1772. She removed
to Washington County, Pa., with her sister Mary Walton in 1796. She married
there in 1797 Jacob Hormell. He was several years her senior and had resided
for some years in Washington County, having served in a militia company from
that county during the Revolution. The log cabin built by him previous to his
marriage and in which the family resided is still standing. He died in 1827.
Jane survived him but the date of her death is unknown. Their graves at
Westland Monthly Meeting are unmarked.
Children of Samuel and Jane (Jamison) Hormell:
- John, b. 5-6--1801; d. 4-5--1882; m. first, Mary Goslin; second, Susan
- William, b. 1805; d. 1827
- Nancy, m. Samuel Smith
- Prudence, m. William Shaw (See No. 52i, Chapter XLIII)
- Catharine, m. Edward Gardner
8. LEVI MILLER2 (Robert1), son of Robert and Mary (Shaw) Miller,
born in Richland Township, 6 mo. 20, 1774, died in Columbiana County, O., 8 mo.
1838. After the death of his father, he joined his brother James in Chester
County and resided there until the spring of 1799, when he removed with his
family to Fayette County, Pa., and in 1805 removed to Greene County and in 1808
to Washington County. In the autumn of 1810 he removed to Columbiana County,
O., where he died. He was admitted as a member to Westland Monthly Meeting of
Friends in 1808, and after his removal to Ohio became and elder of New Garden
Meeting, in Columbiana County, O. He married in 1798 Deborah Morris, eldest
daughter of Isaac and Hannah (Perkins) Morris, granddaughter of Jonathan and
Mary (West) Morris, of Chester County, where she was born 8 mo. 9, 1777. She
died in Ohio in the winter of 1816. Levi Miller married, second, at Carmel
Meeting in Ohio 6 mo. 28, 1819, Anna Hole. She was born 11 mo. 5, 1777, and
died in 1855.
[page 373] Children of Levi and Deborah (Morris) Miller:
- Morris, b. 7-271799; m. Ann Votaw
- Robert, b. 10-8--1800; m. first, Catharine Hole; second, Susannah K.
Holland; third, Mary Hall
- Isaac, b. 3-241802; d. 1860; m. Martha Pennington
- Hannah, b. 9-281805; m. Jacob Reeder
- Mary, b. 2-231807; d. 11-121864; m. Moses Votaw*
- Levi, b. 11-6--1808; m. Maria Pennington
- Sarah, b. 1-151811; m. Dr. John P. Crewell
- Samuel, b. 9-5--1812; m. Charity Pennington
- Rebecca, b. 10-9--1814; m. Joshua Jones
- Deborah, b. 10-221816; m. Simeon Fawcette
* Moses Votaw is probably of the same family of Isaac Votaw, who became a
member of Buckingham Meeting and who married Ann Smith of Plumstead in 1768.
He took a certificate of removal to Fairfax County, Virginia.
10. DAVID MILLER3 (Robert1, James2), son of James and Mary
(Phillips) Miller, born in Chester County, Pa., removed with his parents to
Washington County, Pa., in 1790, and married there, about 1805, Sarah Morris,
daughter of Isaac and Hannah (Perkins) Morris, and sister to the wife of his
uncle Levi Miller. She was born 8 mo. 1, 1779. They removed to Columbiana
County, Ohio, in 1816, and settled near his uncle Levi.
Children of David and Sarah (Morris) Miller:
- Isaac, b. 10-261806; d. 12-3--1858; m. Martha Shaw
- Mary, b. 3-231808; m. -------- Cooper
- James, b. 1810; m. Deborah Taylor
- Hannah, b. 10-221811; m. Benjamin Harris
- David, Jr., b. 7-2--1813; m. Mary Fulkes
- Eli, b. 12-181814; m. Sarah Moore
- Jonathan, b. 9-231817; m. 1839 Eliza J. Stemington
- Mordecai, b. 1-251821; m. Mary Halderman
14. ROBERT MILLER3 (Robert1, James2), son of James and Mary
(Phillips) Miller, born in Chester County, Pa., removed with his parents to
Washington County when a child. He was a soldier in the War of 1812; saw
active service; was wounded and carried a bullet in his head to the day of his
death. He removed to Columbiana County, Ohio, and married there Nancy Shaw,
daughter of Samuel and Susanna (Skelton) Shaw, and granddaughter of Joseph and
Rachel (Griffith) Shaw, of Richland.
(See No. 52k, Chapter XLIII).
Children of Robert and Nancy (Shaw) Miller:
- William, m. had children
- Samuel, m. ------ Cope
- Susanna, m. Charles Belat
- Matilda, m. Joshua Amon
- Mary Ann, unm.
- Eliza, unm.
18. WILLIAM MILLER3 (Robert1, Samuel2), son of Samuel and Jane
(Jamison) Miller, born in Milford Township, Bucks County, Pa., 8 mo. 25, 1791,
resided in that vicinity all his life, dying there 2 mo. 1, 1856. He was a
chairmaker. He married Margaret Wilson. She died 8 mo. 3, 1859.
Children of William and Margaret (Wilson) Miller:
- Samuel, b. 1-281826; d. 3-131879; m. Mary Carver
- Franklin, b. 6-151830; 1-6--1832
21. JOHN HORMELL3 (Robert1, Jane2), son of Jacob and Jane (Miller)
Hormell, was born near Brownsville, Washington County, Pa., 5 mo. 6, 1801, died
there 4 mo. 5, 1882. He married, first, in 1822, Mary Goslin. She died 5 mo.
13, 1843, and he married, second, Susan Williams, born 1808, and died 1886.
Children of John and Mary (Goslin) Hormell:
- Sarah Jane, b. 2-281823; d. 6-7--1904
- Jacon, b. 12-191826; d. 1-291870; m. 8-251847, Minerva Lilley, b. 12-
251828; d. 4-6--1880
- William, b. 3-9--1827; m. Elizabeth Mason
- Martha Jane, b. 3-291828; d. 2-141901; m. John Brown, d. 1-141868
- John, b. 8-201829; d. 11-301898; m. Addie White, d. 3-111911
- Mary Malinda, b. 4-101831; d. 1-191914; m. V. P. Brock
- Nelson G., b. 9-131832; d. 11-9--1900; m. 9-151853, Ruth Baker, b. 3-
201839; d. 2-9--1889
- Nathan P., b. 4-101831; d. 3-151900; m. Elizabeth Claghorn
- Catharine, b. 12-171835; d. 3-161919; m. Peter F. Wolfe
- Robert, b. 10-251837; d. 8-241910; m. 5-151867, Victoria Cleaver, b.
1-271849; d. 10-281880
- Alfred, b. 4-1--1840; d. 9-301844
64 Henry Harrison, b. 10-6--1841; d. 11-271916; m. 11-271862, Minerva
23. NANCY HORMELL3 (Robert1, Jane2), daughter of Robert and Jane
(Miller) Hormell, born in Washington County, Pa., about 1807, married Samuel
Smith, and about 1850 they removed to Indiana with their family.
Children of Samuel and Nancy (Hormell) Smith:
25. CATHARINE HORMELL3 (Robert1, Jane2), daughter of Robert and
Jane (Miller) Hormell, born in Washington County, Pa., married there Edward
Gardner, and they removed to Kentucky.
Children of Edward and Catharine (Hormell) Gardner:
26. MORRIS MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), son of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Fayette County, Pa., 7 mo. 27, 1799, removed with his
parents to Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1810. He married at New Garden Meeting,
10 mo. 30, 1823, Ann Votaw, daughter of Moses and Mary Votaw. He compiled some
years ago a little book on the history of the Miller and Morris Families from
which much of the information in reference to the Miller family here given was
obtained. It contained few dates, however. Their only children of whom we
have any record are:
- Sarah Ann, m. Willis N. Morris
27. ROBERT MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), son of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Fayette County, Pa., 10 mo. 8, 1800, removed with his
parents to Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1810. He married at New Garden Meeting,
in 1823, Catharine Hole, daughter of David and Anna Hole, and a niece of his
stepmother. She died in childbirth and he married, second, Susannah K.
Holland. She died in 1865, and he married, third, Mary Hall, a widow with
three children. The only surviving child was by his second wife:
73 Samuel Holland
28. ISAAC MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), son of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Fayette County, Pa., 3 mo. 24, 1802, married at New
Garden Meeting in Ohio 5 mo. 25, 1830, Martha Pennington. They removed to
Clinton County, Ohio, where Isaac died in 1860. He was a stock buyer and
Children of Isaac and Martha (Pennington) Miller:
- Mary Jane, M. Taylor Lanstaff
- Ann, m. ------- Parker
- Isaac Newton
29. HANNAH MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), daughter of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Greene County, Pa., 9 mo. 28, 1805, removed with her
parents to Columbiana County, Ohio, at the age of five years. She married in
1828 Jacob Reeder, and in 1852 they removed [page 376] To Salem, Henry
County, Iowa, where the remainder of their lives was spent.
Children of Jacob and Hannah (Miller) Reeder:
- Priscilla, m. ------ Taylor
- Mordecai W. C., m. Melissa Crewell
- Abigail, m. William Bond, who was killed in action during the Civil War
- Elizabeth, m. Thomas Champnoi
- Rebecca, m. Webster Manning
30. MARY MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), daughter of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Greene County, Pa., 2 mo. 23, 1867, died 11 mo. 12,
1864. She married, at New Garden Meeting of Friends in Ohio in 1831, Moses
Children of Moses and Mary (Miller) Votaw:
- Levi Miller
- Rebecca, m. Henry Thomas
- Morris, d. in the U. S. Army
31. LEVI MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), son of Levi and Deborah (Morris)
Miller, born in Greene County, Pa., 11 mo. 6, 1808, died in Clinton County,
Ohio. He married at New Garden Meeting in Ohio, 3 mo. 3, 1831, Maria
Pennington. They removed first to Columbiana and later to Clinton County, Ohio.
Children of Levi and Maria (Pennington) Miller:
- Mary Ann, m. Taylor Lanstaff
- A son who died in the army
32. SARAH MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), daughter of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Columbiana County, Ohio, 1 mo. 15, 1811, married at
Sandy Spring, Meeting of Friends in that county, 9 mo. 24, 1834, Dr. John P.
Crewell, son of Timothy Crewell, Sr. He practiced medicine for a time in Ohio,
then removed to Oskaloosa, Iowa. They had besides several children who died
young, the following children:
- Charles; m. first, --------; second, Rhoda Penrose
- Eliza, m. ----------- Johnson
33. SAMUEL MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), son of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Columbiana County, Ohio, 9 mo. 5, 1812, removed to
Clinton County, Ohio, about 1850, and kept a Friends Hotel there. He married,
at New Garden Monthly Meeting 9 mo. 30, 1834 [page 377] Charity
Pennington, sister of Martha and Maria Pennington, who married his brothers
Isaac and Levi, Jr. Nothing is known of the children of this couple.
34. REBECCA MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), daughter of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Columbiana County, Ohio, 10 mo. 9, 1814, married at
Sandy Spring Meeting of Friends 12 mo. 20, 1835, Joshua Jones, son of Catlett
and Sarah (Crew) Jones. Their children who lived to mature years were:
- Sarah, m. ---------- Hoge
- Elwood, m. Elizabeth Crew
- Deborah, m. ---------- Bundy
- Levi Miller
- Elizabeth, m. William Purviance
35. DEBORAH MILLER3 (Robert1, Levi2), daughter of Levi and Deborah
(Morris) Miller, born in Columbiana County, Ohio, 10 mo. 22, 1816, married at
Sandy Spring Meeting of Friends 10 mo. 30, 1839, Simeon Fawcette, son of
William. They removed to Kansas City, Mo.
Children of Simeon and Deborah (Miller) Fawcette:
- Lucinda, m. William Grove
- Abigail, m. Oliver Binford
- Elizabeth, m. Julius Rash
- Elvira, m. Gelan Jones
- Simeon, Jr.
- Deborah, Jr.
36. ISAAC MILLER4 (Robert1, James2, David3), son of David and Sarah
(Morris) Miller, born in Washington County, Pa., 10 mo. 26, 1806, removed with
his parents in Columbiana County, Ohio, at the age of ten years, and died there
12 mo. 3, 1858. He married, 9 mo. 26, 1833, Martha Shaw, daughter of George
and Alice (Richards) Shaw. She was born in Bucks County, Pa., 10 mo. 11, 1807,
and died in Columbiana County, Ohio, 5 mo. 20, 1895. (See No. 52d, Chapter
50. SAMUEL MILLER4 (Robert1, Samuel2, William3), only surviving
child of William and Margaret (Wilson) Miller, born at Quakertown 1 mo. 28,
1826, died there 3 mo. 13, 1879. He married, 10 mo. 10, 1850, Mary Carver,
born 3 mo. 31, 1825, died 2 mo. 8, 1898.
Children of Samuel and Mary (Carver) Miller:
- Franklin, b. 8-1--1852; d. 2-201922; unm.
- William Elwood, b. 10-161857; d. 7-261865
- Caroline, b. 1-261861; unm.
David Wallace Tourison, Sheridan Wyoming, 19 Feb 2002