PENNSYLVANIA MARRIAGE RECORDS
Governor's Accounts including Lists of Marriage, Tavern, Peddlers Licenses and Ships' Registers
Since September 30, 1885, marriage licenses have been required in Pennsylvania and are maintained by the Marriage License Clerk in the county courthouse of the county issuing the license. Before September 30, 1885 the issuing of licenses was not obligatory, but was intended for those cases where the banns were not published or the marriage in church was dispensed with. For these earlier marriages, church records and newspapers may provide information.
The State Archives does not have copies of old newspapers except for a small amount of special collections microfilm in Manuscript Group 262.To locate obituaries or other topics, the State Library of Pennsylvania has an extensive collection of Pennsylvania newspapers.
Ancestry Pennsylvania - Free for Pennsylvania residents
The Pennsylvania State Archives has a partnership with Ancestry.com to digitize family history records in the State Archives and make them available online. The list of records available is located in the bottom left corner of the Ancestry.com Pennsylvania web page.
- Governor's Accounts, 1742-1763 (Record Group 21) - includes lists of marriages for the periods 1742-1752 and 1759-1762.
- General Motion and Divorce Docket, 1750-1837 (Record Group 33) - references to divorces for the period 1800-1805.
- Marriage Bonds for Philadelphia County, 1784-1786 (Record Group 27)
- Divorce Papers, 1786-1815 (Record Group 33)
- Record and Indexes of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, 1852-1854 (Record Group 26) - grouped by county and record type, then arranged by certificate number, these records of birth, marriage and death were kept by the Register of Wills for each county with returns sent to the Department of State. Returns are available for 49 of the 64 counties existing at that time; however, they are not complete for each county. Digital images of the records along with a search capability are available at Ancestry.com.
- Record of Marriages, 1885-1891 (Record Group 14) - grouped alphabetically by the surnames of the bride and the groom, then arranged chronologically, these registers contain an incomplete listing of marriages from various Pennsylvania counties. Digital images of the entries for 1885-1889 are available for viewing on the Archives website and at Ancestry.com.
On the 15th inst. at Friends' Meeting Byberry, John Bowman, to Ann B. daughter of John Comly, all of Byberry, Philadelphia county.
On the 4th ult. at Friends' Meeting, Byberry, Philadelphia county, Benjamin G. Bonner, of Moreland, to Lydia Ann, daughter of Josiah Walton, of the former place.
SPINNERSTOWN COUPLE WEDDED
Harry H. Fegley and Miss Ella M. Huber, both residents of Spinnerstown, were
united in the holy bonds of matrimony by Rev. Thos. Leinbach, on last
Saturday. The young couple are well-known and carry with them the best wishes
of their many friends for a happy wedded life.
Ref: Town and Country, Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, Saturday, June 2, 1900.
According to the Leach book and LDS, Hannah Dungan and Silas Yerkes of the Southampton Baptist Meeting House were married June 14, 1750.
received in an e-mail
LOVELL - WALKER- In Bristol, April 2, 1876 by Rev. J.C. Hyde. Dr. J. H. Lovvell, of burlington N.J., to Dr. Hanna walker, of Attleboro, Pa. No. cards
WRIGHT - HIBBS - On Wednesday, April 12th, 1876, by Rev. Dr. Burdett. David t.wright, of Tullytown, to Jo. gertrude Hibbs, of Bristol.
Moran - Vandegrift -
The Bucks County Gazette (Bristol, Pennsylvania)
Moran - Vandegrift - at the M.E. Parsonage, 1013 North Front Street Philadelphia, on Thursday, January 24, 1889, by Rev Francis Asbury Gilbert, William T. Moran, of Philadelphia, and Miss Lucy C. Vandegrift, of Newportville, Bucks County, Pa.
1878 NEW HOPE GAZETTE Marriages
1879 Hunterdon County Democract Marriages
Isaac Hicks Marriages
June 26, 1774. Huston, Robert, & Pleasant Scatterthwaite both of the Tp. of Lower Makefield.
Jul 1, 1775. Ramson, George, & Jane Vansant both of Bensalem
July 20, 1775. Shrigley, Enoch , & Marcy Stackhouse both of the Falls
May 22, 1776. Dyer, Joseh & Mary Ashburn.
August 1776. Thompson, Hugh and Sarah Beal both of New Brittain
Sep. 1, 1776. Price, Smith, and Martha Carver of Plumstead
1776. Wiley, Thomas, & Longshore
Mar. 19, 1776. Flemming, Benjamin, & Phebe Howell both of the County of Bucks.
Mar. 18, 1776. Cary, Samuel, & Rachel Doan both of Up Makefield
July 1, 1794. Taylor, Robert, & Grace smith of Middletown, Negroes
Sep. 25, 1794. Hilborn, Robert, & Mary Worstal both of Newtown Tp. in presence of sundry witnessess.
Jan 14, 1795. Cosson, William, of Trenton Tp. New Jersey, and Hettee Anderson, dau. of Joshua Anderson, Esquire, in Lower Makefield.
Apr. 2, 1795. Heston Jonathan, of up Makefield Tp. to Mary Hilborn of Newtown, at I Hicks houses
May 5th 1795, Vanhorn, Barnard, and Letitia Tomlinson Married in the Presence of 12 witn in Newtown