Doylestown Borough

Grammar School


backyard friend a red bellied woodpecker

Doylestown Mennonite

Doylestown was incorporated as a borough in 1838.

History of Borough -

Doylestown (Towship) was organized in 1818  and situated within a mile of the geographical centre of the county. By an Act of Assembly, passed the 20th of March, 1724, became the county seat in place of Bristol, an honor which it held until 1812, when the courts and public offices were removed to Doylestown, a more central location.

In 1912, one hundred years later the centennial was celebrated by decorating the streets, patriotic flags, and a costume ball, to name just a few of the events. BCHS

Doylestown, the county seat, was first called by this name in 1778. It is derived the name from William Doyles, who settled there about 1735, and kept a hostelry at the cross-roads as early as 1742. The earliest inhabitants of the neighborhood were Scotch-Irish. In 1732 a log church was founded at Deep Run, eight miles north-west of Doylestown, of which Rev. Francis McHenry was installed pastor in 1738. Doylestown was incorporated as a borough in 1838. A flourishing boarding school for boys and girls has been established here by a joint stock company, and also a prosperous female seminary. Newspaper authority tells us that Doylestown, in 1778, contained but two or three log dwellings.

Early settlers: Joseph Kirkbride, William Doyle, David Thomas, William Wells, Thomas Adams, Thomas Morris, John Marks, Hugh Edmund, Clement Doyles, William Beal, Joseph Burges, Nathaniel West, William Dungan, Solomon McLean, David Easton, and Edward Doyle, Christian Wertz, George Stewart, Doctor Meredith, Jacob Thomas, Eli Vanluvanee (shoemaker). The oldest families of Doylestown, Harveys, Stewarts, McIntoshes, Vanluvanee, Halls, Magills, and the DuBoises. In 1820 the population of Doylestown was but 360, and about 500 in 1829. One account tells us the population was 800 in 1830. According to the census of 1840 the population was 906; 1850, 974 white and 32 colored; 1860, 1,416, and 1,601 in 1870, of which 139 were of foreign birth. The actual population is about 2,000.

The First Baptist church of Doylestown was organized on the evening of Thursday, December 3, 1867, with the election of Reverend W.S. Wood as pastor, and two deacons- Robert Johnson and James D. Scott. There were more than fifty constituent members, a majority of whom had formerly been connected with the New Britain church. It was recognized as a regularly constituted organization January 16, 1868, by a council composed of representatives of seven different Baptist churches, Dr. George Dana Boardman delivering the sermon on the occasion; and at the next meeting of the North Philadelphia Association this church was formally admitted into the body. The initial step in building a church was taken January 12, 1867, when a committee was appointed to purchase a suitable site. Within two years from that date the proposed building was under roof; but owing to financial stringency it was not dedicated until January, 1877. It is a substantial structure, eligibly located, commodious, well furnished, and involved an aggregate expenditure of twenty-three thousand dollars. The successors of Mr. Wood as pastor were: Reverend H.A. Hastings, John Miller, and T.R. Howlett. The membership numbers one hundred and seventy-five at present.

Source: Battle History of Bucks County, page 460


[Bucks County Courthouse]

Doylestown Borough


Doylestown is the home of the The Bucks County Historical Society, The Mercer Museum and Fonthill , the home of Henry Mercer
  Located in Bucks County, Doylestown was incorporated as a borough on April 16, 1838.
PA State Archives
Borough Council Minutes, 1856-1953. 4 rolls. (LR 58)


Castle Valley Mill - A Bucks County mill is reborn, originally built in 1730

bullet James Lorah house
bullet Dyerstown
The site was developed by John Dyer, an English Quaker. At that time, the town was called Dyerstown. The mill has served as a post office, general store, an inn (around the time of Prohibition) and then a tavern. While changes have been made to the building, it retains its historic appeal. This site is now the Waterwheel Restaurant on Old Easton Road
bullet Edison originally known as Bridge Point


bulletAmerican Czestochowa
bulletW. Atlee Burpee (1858-1915)
bullet A History of Doylestown
bullet 1936 Newspaper clipping submitted by Jane Heinemann (Hotchkiss, Darlington & Dr. McEvoy)
bullet Doylestown Cemetery
215 E Court Street
Doylestown PA 18901
(215) 348-3911

Doylestown Cemetery (Partial) - MORRIS Surnames, Bucks Co., PA

bullet Photographic Tour Doylestown
W. Atlee Burpee 1858-1915. The Doylestown Historical Society, a group dedicated to the history of the borough, sponsored a historical marker which honors Mr. Burpee for his achievements in seed growing and he also donated the land for the borough's first park in 1913. The text of the historical marker which was approved by the state historical commission goes as follows: Founder at age 18 of the seed company bearing his name. At Fordhook Farm nearby, he developed Golden Bantam Corn, Bush Lima beans, Iceberg Lettuce, & other plant varieties. He gave this park to the Borough in honor of his wife Blanche.
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission 2000 -
The Intelligencer Record Sunday, November 5, 2000


The Czestochowa Shrine in Doylestown had its beginning in 1954 when a faithful reproduction of the Miraculous Picture, blessed in the Miraculous Chapel in Czestochowa, Poland, was brought to the United States by the Pauline Fathers whose mission was to build an American Czestochowa

By 1955 the Pauline Fathers had established a monastery and a church on a small tract of land near Doylestown, PA. It was a humble beginning for the Shrine with a converted barn serving as the first chapel, housing the Picture of Our Lady the Fathers had brought from Poland. This "Original Barn Chapel" is located at the back of the Cemetery where it stands as a reminder of the Shrine's humble beginnings.

Pauline Fathers - National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa - P.O. Box 2049 - Doylestown PA18901

  is located in the Miraculous Chapel, Jasna Gora, Czestochowa, Poland 

is one of the oldest paintings of the Blessed Mother in existence

according to legend, was painted by St Luke, the Evangelist, on a table top from the Nazareth House  was entrusted to the protection of the Pauline Fathers in 1382  has scars on the face of the Blessed mother - the result of being struck by the swords of bandits in 1430 as they tried to steal the picture. 


bullet Is a faithful reproduction of the original miraculous miraculous painting at Czestochowas, Poland
bullet was blessed in the miraculous chapel at Jasna Gora, Czestochowa, Poland
bullet was brought to America by the Pauline Fathers in 1954
bullet is located above the main altar in the Shrine Church at the American Czestochowa

The Shrine at Czestochowa looking south towards Doylestown Bucks County Pa




Page last updated: October 2, 2021

ABRAHAM LINCOLN (1864) 2nd Inaugural

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan - to do all which may achieve a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations. 


A Timeline of Bucks County History - Mercer Museum PDF


  • The Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis), the state tree of Pennsylvania, is one of the dominant trees of the Commonwealth's forests...
One website can not be all things to all people
- Nancy Janyszeski

"I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that don't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison

Copyright© 1997-2021

Nancy C. Janyszeski All rights reserved.     Information submitted remains, to the extent the laws allows, the property of the submitter who by submitting it agrees that it may be freely copied, but never sold or used in a commercial venture without the knowledge and permission of the rightful owners.   

This website was created as a guide to the history and genealogy of Bucks County Pennsylvania. All efforts have been made to be accurate and to document sources. Some of the material has been contributed and published, with permission, in good faith. All effort has been made to be accurate as possible, and to refer to sources used. If you see an error, please let me know. This website was designed to be informative, a guide to Bucks County history and genealogical research, and hopefully fun. I can't guarantee that all the data is accurate.

Broken Links:
Bucks County

October 2, 2021